The Challenge Awards are suitable for someone just starting out or a more experienced rider or horse owner.
Our Challenge Awards are designed for your clients to develop hands-on, practical skills and get stuck in with the day-to-day tasks.
To become a Ride Safe Trainer you must be an APC Stage 3 Coach in Complete Horsemanship or above. Please contact a Ride Safe Advisor who will be able to complete the necessary training with you.
To find a list of Ride Safe Advisors please visit our Find a coach or groom page
Ride Safe Trainers - extra resources
Training the Trainers Video
BHS Dead Slow 360 Virtual Reality
Please watch and share our new 360 virtual reality film (YouTube), showing how it feels to be both the rider and driver when a car passes a horse too quickly on the road.
Horse vs Car
Horse vs Car GCM, a YouTube influencer has partnered with Dorset and Devon & Cornwall police and BHS to reach his audience who customise their cars.
What's on Your Horizon
The BHS have produced an interactive road safety film (YouTube) after successfully securing a road safety grant from the Police and Crime Commissioner for Warwickshire. The film follows a young driver who is faced with a series of hazards along his journey to collect friends for a party.
Updates to booklets
Following the Highway Code updates in 2022 there have been various updates to the Ride Safe Guide, Ride Safe Silver Challenge Award booklet and Ride Safe Training the Trainers Guide.
We recommend all BHS Accredited Professionals and Approved Centre coaches attend a virtual information and Q&A session before you get started with any of our recreational awards (Pony Stars, Horse Explorers and Challenge Awards). You will learn more about each product and how they can benefit your business.
The session, held via Microsoft Teams video call, last no longer than one hour and will provide all you need to know before you get you started.
Challenge Awards - general resources
Breeding Challenge Awards Resources
- Activity Plans Breeding Part One to Breed or not to Breed
- Activity Plans Breeding Part Two Breeding and Foaling
- Activity Plans Breeding Part Three Care of the Foal and Young Horse
- Checklist Guidance Breeding Part One to Breed or not to Breed
- Checklist Guidance Breeding Part Two Breeding and Foaling
- Checklist Guidance Breeding Part Three Care of the Foal and Young Horse
- Breeding and Challenge Award - Coach Training Information Sheet
Achievement Tracker for Silver Awards
Please update us on your participants achievements on the Silver Challenge Awards by completing this short online form
- Coaches Handbook
- Mounted Games Checklist Guidance
- Horse Knowledge Part 2 Checklist Guidance
- Horse Knowledge Part 1 Checklist Guidance
- Horse Health Checklist Guidance
- First Pony Guide Checklist Guidance
- Intro About the Rider Checklist Guidance
- Intro About the Horse Checklist Guidance
- Bronze About the Rider Checklist Guidance
- Bronze About the Horse Checklist Guidance
- Silver About the Rider Checklist Guidance
- Silver About the Horse Checklist Guidance
- Gold About the Rider Checklist Guidance
- Gold About the Horse Checklist Guidance
- Platinum About the Rider Checklist Guidance
- Platinum About the Horse Checklist Guidance
- Breeding part 1 - To Breed or Not to Breed Checklist Guidance
- Breeding part 2 - Breeding and Foaling Checklist Guidance
- Breeding part 3 - Care of the Foal and Young Horses Checklist Guidance
Helpful handouts to use whilst delivering the Challenge Awards.
Session plans to help you with delivering the Challenge Awards, feel free to use and adapt where required. We have also created presentations you can use, these might be beneficial with any online sessions
- Session Plans First Pony Guide
- Horse Health Presentation
- Session Plans Horse Health
- Introduction to Horse Care
- Introduction to Riding
- Session Plan Mounted Games
- Possible Group Tasks
- Activity Guide for Breeding part 1 - To Breed or Not to Breed
- Activity Guide for Breeding part 2 - Breeding and Foaling
- Activity Guide for Breeding part 3 - Care of the Foal and Young Horses