Bringing horses and people together - Learning, Riding, Caring
Our volunteer programme supports anyone who cares about horses to take positive local action, to champion our work in learning, riding and caring for horses and to support the delivery of the BHS charitable aims.
Volunteering with the British Horse Society
Our aim is to make a positive difference to horses’ lives and the millions of people in the UK who ride, carriage drive or care for horses.
Thanks to our enthusiastic and dedicated volunteers we run numerous events each year. From fun rides to competitions, lecture/demo’s to camps, there are many activities to support horses and those who care for them. Our BHS volunteers attend over a thousand new welfare concerns each year, campaign for the increased safety of riders and horses on our roads and for access to safe places to ride or carriage drive, as well as organising local shows and fundraising for the benefit of horses and riders in their local area.
There are so many ways to get involved; from organising a local event, attending a welfare concern, educating road users, preserving an off-road riding or carriage driving route or volunteering on a BHS show stand. Whether it's for a couple of hours or a whole day, helping at a one-off event or supporting the BHS in your local area for many years - the time you give really does matter.
As a BHS Volunteer, you can:
- make a meaningful difference to horses and the people who care about them
- take positive action in your local area
- support, educate, advise and guide others to put horses first
- receive full training for your role and have opportunities for ongoing learning experiences
- have opportunities to influence our work
- meet like-minded local volunteers and make new friends
- learn new skills and enhance your cv
- be an ambassador for the BHS
- receive ongoing support from our locally based BHS team in your region and from our central dedicated volunteer support team
Whatever role you decide on, we'll provide you with support, training, resources you need and a volunteer network that will be there to help and guide you.
What's it like to volunteer for the BHS?
Read some of our great volunteer stories on the testimonials page