BHS Project 2026 | Historical Research Volunteer | Volunteer Roles
Are you / do you?
- Computer literate, with access to the internet
- Able to read maps, old documents and transcripts
- Interested in local history
- Have an eye for detail and enjoy solving puzzles
2026 research can be a really flexible activity which can be done as and when you have the time and energy. It could involve some, or all of the following:
- Identifying routes and carrying out research from your home using www.bhsaccess.org.uk and other online resources
- Visiting your County Records Office and other activities to gain evidence
- Walking or riding routes that you are investigating and putting up notices on them
- Completing and submitting forms as part of the Definitive Map Modification Order application process
There is an extensive range of training and support for 2026 volunteers, covering the basics of right of way, through to the interpretation of historical evidence and using our dedicated 2026 mapping and research website. Experienced staff and volunteers can also offer advice and one-to-one support to help address specific issues and questions.
Download the volunteer role description.