Charity Race Days
Wetherby Racecourse, West Yorkshire on 29th October 2021
Newbury Racecourse, Berkshire on 4th November 2021
On 29th October at Wetherby Racecourse and 4th November at Newbury Racecourse you will have the chance to watch our jockeys enjoy the thrill of a lifetime by making it to the starting line in support of the BHS. Following the race will be a delicious lunch with some amazing auction prizes and more cracking racing! Enjoy a flutter from our BHS member’s area and take advantage of our fabulously exclusive BHS entry discounts. Tickets will be on sale here soon.
Is a charity lunch even a charity lunch without an auction? Help us to raise vital funds enabling us to do even more valuable work, by bidding for money can’t buy auction lots. Keep your eyes peeled on the website for the auction launch in September.
Our jockeys are training hard to get to their fitness peak in preparation for a mile race on the flat.
Each of them is raising money for our different, vital appeals. You can follow and support our jockey’s journeys, through their highs and lows on JustGiving as they reach their fundraising targets.
Get an idea of what to expect by watching this footage of our 2019 Charity Race at Newbury Racecourse
Isabella Budge, Newbury Charity Race 2019
I don't know when I last travelled that fast, it was over in a flash! It was just an unbelievable, unforgettable day. I'm on cloud nine and I don't think I'm coming down anytime soon!
Seon O'Connel, Newbury Jockey
I don't have a riding background and I hadn't sat on a horse for 25 years until last summer and, with the help of Epsom racing stalwart Dave Jefferies and his versatile horse ' Marcus', I got going again, cantering up and down pony hill, strengthening up the legs. Since August 2020 i've been riding out regularly for local trainer Pat Phelan and also more recently with fellow Epsom trainers Mick Attwater and Simon Dow, stepping up to 3-4 mornings a week. Pat and his staff at Ermyn Lodge Stables have been unbelievably helpful and patient giving me the confidence and skills to be able to spread my wings and ride out at other yards. The journey so far of riding various horses on the numerous grass, fibre sand and poly track gallops at Epsom has been an absolute pleasure and I can't thank the trainers enough for the opportunities and support.
- Unlicensed riders without previous recent race riding experience must attend an assessment day at the British Racing School or Northern Racing College.
- Riders are responsible for finding their own horses
- You will have the unique opportunity to ride one of the ex-race horses currently residing at the BRS or at NRC in Doncaster.
- During the training you will be filmed and photographed on the gallops to assess your style and competence
- Maximum weight: 11 stone 7 stone including kit (Riders putting up overweight will need to pay an extra £10 per pound which will be donated to The British Horse Society)
- You will need a horse that is in training with a registered trainer or a Point to Pointer.
- 4 year olds and upwards who have run at least twice under the recognised Rules of Racing
- All horses to be rated: 0-125 for hurdlers/steeplechasers 0-80 for flat horses Point-to-pointers can also run subject to individual clearance
- All horses to be vaccinated in accordance with Rule E18/19 of the Rules of Racing
Watch our video of Newbury Riders Sophie & Issy talking about their experience
Take a look at our '5 Essential Requirements to be a Jockey' article if you are interested in learning more about the process