Advice for Coaches in England | Lockdown | January 2021
A National Lockdown has been implemented in England from 4 January order to further control the spread of Covid19 in England. During this time there will be an impact on horse owners, equestrian businesses and coaches.
For Coaches in England
The Government guidance states that you can travel to work where you cannot work from home, but the overarching message of the lockdown is to stay at home. We advise that Coaches should:
- Travel to work where they are unable to work from home
- You can continue to exercise clients’ horses providing this activity starts and finishes from where the horse is kept
- Read the Government guidance and assess whether face to face coaching is a necessity
- Only undertake1 to 1 instruction at the location where the horse is kept. Arena or facility hire is not permitted
- Where a coach has their own facility they should only coach clients where the horse lives on site. Clients and horses should not be travelling for lessons
- At all times ensure COVID secure practices are observed
- Check with their insurance provider before undertaking any activities
For APC’s insured through SEIB, it has been confirmed insurance will remain valid as long the coach as you abide by all government guidance. If you are an APC you can call 02476 840565 for further support and guidance.
The external hire of equestrian facilities is not permitted during the National Lockdown so you may not travel to a venue and pay to ride on the premises (arenas, farm tracks, gallops, jumps, cross country schooling, etc.).
Venues which normally offer this service should suspend hire for the duration of the lockdown.
You can have a one to one lesson with a coach using the arena where your horse is kept or the arena at your coach’s permanent base, if they have one. The legislation does not allow you to hire an arena, cross country course or other facility, to meet with your coach for a lesson.
Government Support for Businesses during the Lockdown in England
The Government have issued further details of the support which is available to businesses and individuals during the Lockdown in England. Details can be found here.
All advice and guidance is subject to change as and when government issue further details. This advice will be updated when further details are issued. Whilst this is the BEF and the BHS interpretation and advice we strongly recommend that you consult with both your insurance provider and local authority to help make the right decisions for your businesses and circumstances.
The BHS Helpline
The BHS Welfare Helpline is here to offer you advice and support with any questions or concerns you may have.
We are here for all our members and supporters and we have extended our working hours to provide a Coronavirus Helpline during these difficult times to help answer your additional queries relating to Coronavirus lockdown.
Call us on 02476 840517
If you are an APC please call 02476 840565 or an Approved Centre please call 02476 840509
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) ADVICE & INFORMATION FOR EQUESTRIANS
Please read our information and advice for horse owners and business owners during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak