This training day (which counts as CPD for BHS Accredited Professional Coaches) will be presented by Mary Frances, Moorcroft Racehorse Welfare Centre's Chief Executive and a Stage 4 Senior Coach. Learn how the team at Moorcroft retrain horses from the track to the point where they are ready for a new home.
Time: 9.30am - 4pm
- 9.30am Arrival and registration. Tea and coffee.
- 10am Introduction and Housekeeping
- 10.10am Long-reining Demonstration. A thorough in-depth explanation on how to long-rein, why to long-rein and what can be achieved, possibly with a chance to have a go for some of those interested if time allows
- 11.30am Young ex-racehorse – how we start them off
- 12pm A more retrained ex-racehorse – working the canter, starting lateral work
- 12.45pm Lunch
- 1.30pm Ridden demonstration working on the basic paces
- 2.15pm Feeding the thoroughbred – keeping it simple and close to nature
- 2.45pm Showing how to assess muscular and joint pain in horses with Kate Akers MVetPhys RAMP NAVP
- 3.15pm Tour of the centre and all the facilities explained with respect to their role in rehabilitation
- 3.45pm Questions and refreshments
*Please note start and finish times are set, timings may vary within that.
Download the poster (pdf)