Skip to content
back to home

IGEQ International Passports

  • Last reviewed: 1st August 2022

Equestrian Passport

An Equestrian Passport is available if you teach riding, driving, vaulting, western riding, tourism or therapy, providing you hold the required certificates. The passport confirms and recognises the holders' qualifications, enabling recognition and acceptance in IGEQ member countries (subject to national federation legal requirements).

What is the IGEQ?

The International Group for Equestrian Qualifications is an independent voluntary international organisation of 35 national equestrian federations. The IQEG has compared and harmonised equestrian instructor qualifications, producing an agreed matrix of minimum requirements at three international levels for the six disciplines above.

Their mission statement is to develop, promote and maintain equestrian qualifications.

How is The British Horse Society involved?

We provide administration for the British Equestrian Federation (BEF) as the member federation of IGEQ for Instructors who are living in the UK and hold the relevant qualifications.

Checks to make when teaching abroad

Any passport holder intending or planning to move to another country is strongly advised to contact the Federation in their chosen new country to check whether they will be eligible for a licence to teach before they make firm arrangements or move. Failure to do so could result in disappointment.

In some countries, qualifications and licences are issued by a Ministry of Sport rather than the national federation.

The secretariat is provided by Victoria Lewis. Contact Victoria at

How can I apply?

If you would like to apply for a passport please call us on 02476 840565, or write to us at Accredited Professionals c/o The British Horse Society, Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth, Warwickshire, CV8 2XZ.