Revised October 2020
Please note that we are currently experiencing processing DELAYS OVER ONE MONTH for all passports, due to Covid-19. We can only process applications that are submitted with complete and correct paperwork. We regret we are unable to offer a fast-track service until further notice.
We will keep this website updated with any further changes.
Important information about Brexit
The BHS has issued over 35,000 equine passports to horses, ponies, donkeys and mules of unknown breeding and those that are not eligible to be registered with a breed society.
Protect your horses with the Digital Stable
Manage your Equine Passports and information in one place
- Check your equine microchip details are correct on the Central Equine Database (CED)
- Check the data held about you and your equine on the CED is accurate
- Quickly report your horse missing to national authorities
- Set statuses and alerts on the new National ChipChecker
Please note: We now return all passports by recorded delivery (Signed For™), therefore please do not include payment for this service in your application.
For the purpose of the information contained on our website ‘horse’ refers throughout to horses, ponies, donkeys and mules.
The BHS are only able to make changes to passports that were originally issued by the British Horse Society. Please ensure you contact the correct Passport Issuing Organisation (PIO) as all non-BHS passports or application forms received will be immediately returned to the sender. Details of authorised PIOs are available from DEFRA.
You do not have to be a member of the BHS to obtain a passport or to complete any updates on a BHS passport.
Each specific service details the time that it will take for the BHS Passport Office to complete the process. Fast Track applications cost an additional £25 and will be processed within one working day and are only payable by card. Please be aware that incorrect paperwork can cause delays. The BHS cannot be held responsible for any passports that are lost or damaged in the post.
Please note if you send in an incomplete application or a passport without a covering note we will attempt to contact you to request the supporting documentation or payment up to a period of six months. If we have not received the additional paperwork/payment from you within that time we will destroy any documentation already received in order to comply with GDPR.
The front cover of the BHS passport has been amended three times. All three versions of the passports remain valid.
- The most up-to-date version is the red covered passport, which is bound together using two rivets.
- All pages contained within the passport have ‘Equine Passport’ written in the background diagonally across the pages. Any pages which do not carry this watermark were not issued by the BHS and suggest that the passport has been tampered with. This should be reported to Trading Standards.
- On the first page is an embossed mark which is completed on the date that the passport was issued. If this mark is missing it suggests that the passport has been tampered with. This should be reported to Trading Standards.
If you need any additional information, please contact the Passport Office on 02476 840574 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying for a new Horse Passport
Please contact the Passport Office to request the number of application forms you require and provide your full name and address details on 02476 840574 or email email@example.com. You can find more ways to apply and further information by visiting our passport application website
Passport Application Forms and Further Information
Further information about Horse Passports