Advice for Riding Schools in England | Lockdown | January 2021
For Riding Schools in England
England is now under a National Lockdown and there are new restrictions in place which will impact on horse owners and our riding schools.
- During the lockdown riding schools must close for public lessons and activities, this includes hacks
- Disabled sports provision is still permitted, a riding school will need to assess whether their specific activities can continue. Further details can be found here: https://www.sportengland.org/campaigns-and-our-work/disability
- Arena hire is not permitted, however arenas can be used for exercising horses which are stabled at the venue, livery yard or riding school
- Horse owners, loaners and sharers can continue to travel to care for and exercise their horse when it is not kept at home
- Horse loaners can continue to travel to the riding school to care for and exercise their horse
- Livery yards can continue to allow horse owners, loaners or sharers to care for and exercise their horse
- You can continue to offer one to one coaching for your livery clients
- Horse riding can continue although all organised activities and competitions will be required to stop
- Use Covid risk assessments to determine the number of individuals riding in an arena together
- Essential visits for the welfare of horses e.g. farrier, vet, saddle fitter and physio can continue
- Transporting horses should only be undertaken for welfare reasons
- Volunteers can continue to volunteer at a riding school, providing this is a routine arrangement that forms an essential part in ensuring the care, exercise and welfare needs of horses can continue to be met. We would advise confirming this with your insurance company.
- The furlough scheme has been extended until 30 April 2021 and may be appropriate for some employees e.g. ground staff or catering staff. Details can be found here.
- Employees can continue to attend work related training whilst on the furlough scheme
Government Support for Businesses during the Lockdown in England
The Government have issued further details of the support which is available to businesses and individuals during the Lockdown in England. Details can be found here.
All advice and guidance is subject to change as and when government issue further details. This advice will be updated when further details are issued. Whilst this is the BEF and the BHS interpretation and advice we strongly recommend that you consult with both your insurance provider and local authority to help make the right decisions for your businesses and circumstances.
The BHS Helpline
The BHS Welfare Helpline is here to offer you advice and support with any questions or concerns you may have.
We are here for all our members and supporters and we have extended our working hours to provide a Coronavirus Helpline during these difficult times to help answer your additional queries relating to Coronavirus lockdown.
Call us on 02476 840517
If you are an APC please call 02476 840565 or an Approved Centre please call 02476 840509
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) ADVICE & INFORMATION FOR EQUESTRIANS
Please read our information and advice for horse owners and business owners during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak