What's covered in the unit?
On completion of this unit, you will be:
- Able to mount from a block and adjust girth and stirrups for comfort
- Able to walk, trot and canter on both reins, showing changes of direction, turns and circles
- Able to apply appropriate aids for basic flatwork schooling
- Able to ride in a balanced position both with and without stirrups, and when working in a forward seat over poles and in canter
- Able to ride in a group and show some individual work with consideration and respect for other riders and your horse
- Able to recognise diagonals in rising trot and canter leads
- Aware of the horse’s needs and comfort
What will you be assessed on?
You will be assessed on the following learning outcomes:
- Be able to position a horse in preparation for mounting
- Be able to mount and dismount from a horse
- Be able to ride horses in walk, trot, and canter under supervision
Download the qualification specification to review the learning outcomes in more detail.
How will you be assessed?
Up to 90-minutes criteria-based assessment.
- View the fees for assessments organised by the BHS in the UK and Republic of Ireland
- For our international assessments, please contact us
Booking your assessment
Please remember to book in plenty of time. Bookings will close two weeks before the assessment date.
We will always do our best to accommodate your preference for an assessment. However, the venue and date are not confirmed until payment is taken and you have received your written confirmation.
Re-sitting your assessment
If you have been unsuccessful on your first assessment, we encourage you to call us to book a re-sit.
Of course, we will also answer any questions you may have and provide you with feedback at this stage. You may have been successful against some, but not all of the assessment criteria, in which case we can just assess you on the sections on which you were not so strong.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, please complete our enquiry form and one of our team will get back to you shortly. Alternatively, you can call us on 02476 840508.