This award focuses on building your skills and knowledge in monitoring horses’ health, preventing health issues, and responding to any health concerns that arise.
By completing this award, you will learn about:
- Routine health checks
- When to call a vet
- How to identify lameness
- Common health conditions
- Basic treatments
The full checklist
- I can describe six health conditions that can affect horses
- I can describe how to stop bleeding
- I can list three situations where the vet should be called urgently
- I can describe why vaccination is important
- I can describe worm control methods
- I can demonstrate/describe how to give a wormer to a horse
- I can demonstrate how to:
- Apply stable bandages
- Apply a bandage over a wound
- Apply a figure of eight bandage on a hock or knee
- I can list five items in a first aid kit and describe their use
- I can explain why new horses to a yard should be quarantined
- I can explain why you would use a poultice
- I can describe how to prepare a wet poultice and how to apply it
- I can give reasons for and demonstrate how to:
- Cold hose
- I can give reasons why a horse might be on box rest
- I can describe how to care for a horse on box rest
How to get involved
Challenge awards are open to anyone who would like to improve their horse knowledge or skills; you do not have to be a BHS member to take part.
If you have your own horse
Courses are delivered by an Accredited Professional Coach. Your coach can come to your livery yard or British Riding Club grounds.
If you do not own your own horse
Or you’re not sure if they would be suitable, don’t worry. There are BHS Approved Riding Centres throughout the UK that deliver challenge awards with their facilities and horses.
You can achieve the challenge awards at your local Approved Centre where they will match you to a horse to ensure your lessons are suitable to your experience.
Get in touch
If you want to learn more about the Challenge Awards or if you have any questions, please complete our enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.
Horse Care Awards
Working through the workbooks will give you a great introduction to the essential knowledge needed to enjoy and stay safe around horses. This theory will also help prepare you to care for a horse and develop your practical skills in other Challenge Awards.
Introduction to horse care
This award focuses on building your knowledge of what horses need to help them stay healthy, comfortable and happy.
Knowing your horse
This award series focuses on building your understanding of basic horse anatomy, feeding needs and evaluating a horse’s health and condition. You can then use this knowledge to inform how you exercise and care for a horse.
Caring for your horse
Through these awards, you will gain essential skills and knowledge around horse care, horse behaviour, stable and field care, using and fitting rugs, and grooming.
Handling your horse
These awards focus on developing your skills and knowledge to be able to enjoy your time on the yard being conscious of your safety and that of others on the yard too.
Introduction to riding
Learning to ride is hugely rewarding as you find yourself able to build a bond and relationship with your horse as you ride. We look forward to helping you take your first steps.
Gain knowledge and understanding to improve your riding and overall health.
Working through this series of awards will develop your flatwork skills, improve your position and help you ride with confidence. Learning the basics of riding on the flat is essential to any riding discipline.