You will be skilled in coaching riders and training horses to a competitive standard.
Certificate holders have a broad knowledge in all aspects of business management and horse care, including maintaining horse health, care of competition horses and the breeding and management of young horses.
Offering a natural aptitude and empathy in your riding and coaching, you will utilise your strength as a good communicator to impart knowledge with enthusiasm, clarity and impact. This career certificate will endorse you as a leading coach, who is able to train and supervise staff and students and give sound career advice around the extensive career pathways available in the industry.
A Performance Show Jumping Coach BHSI is welcome to join the Association of Fellows and Instructors of the BHS – an established peer group training and discussion body supporting your career and development.
- Age: 18
- Qualifications: BHSQ Level 4 Senior Show Jumping Coach (Stage 4) or BHSQ Level 4 Senior Eventing Coach (Stage 4), or equivalent. If you hold other equestrian industry qualifications and/or significant industry experience, please contact the Education Team or see our Direct Entry procedure. We would like to highlight that Direct Entry is especially encouraged for competition riders and professionals who have significant experience of working in the industry, especially working in large yards.
- Other: BHS Accredited Professional or BHS Gold Member
Who is this certificate for?
- Anyone who enjoys inspiring others to be their best, coaching and training our next generation of horses and riders
- Professionals in the industry who want to endorse their skills and knowledge with an internationally recognised qualification
- Anyone who aspires to manage a successful equestrian business or become a freelance consultant
- Anyone who aspires to be a role model in the industry supporting clients, staff and peers
- Anyone committed to their lifelong learning wanting to make a valuable contribution to the management and training of horses
- Anyone looking to become a BHS Fellow
The Performance Show Jumping Coach BHSI qualification is awarded upon achievement of four sections:
Section 1: Care and Welfare
Within this section you will demonstrate your competence and comprehensive knowledge for managing the care and welfare of horses and ponies in a range of situations.
Section 2: Business Management
This section covers essential knowledge and skills required of a manager to run a successful equestrian business with confidence and competence.
Section 3: Training Horses (Lunge and Ride) - Show Jumping Pathway
This section covers essential knowledge and skills required to train horses.
Section 4: Coaching - Show Jumping Pathway
Within this section you will demonstrate your competence for coaching high performance riders and horses for show jumping.
Booking your assessment
To book your assessment, please find an upcoming assessment date near you and then contact the BHS Education team to book your place.
Re-sitting your assessment
If you have been unsuccessful on your first assessment, we encourage you to call us to book a re-sit.
Of course, we will also answer any questions you may have and provide you with feedback at this stage. You may have been successful against some, but not all of the assessment criteria, in which case we can just assess you on the sections on which you were not so strong.