Legislation, regulations and the resources available to protect animals that live in Scotland falls to the Scottish Parliament and Scottish Government.
In 2006, the Animal Health and Welfare Scotland Act was modernised and BHS Scotland works with the Scottish Government and other partners listed below to ensure our industry and all Scottish equines get the best representation they can, we also work to educate horse owners on their responsibilities. BHS Scotland was a key author of Scotland’s Code of Practice for the Welfare of Equidae which places a great duty of care alongside equine ownership. This is based on the five needs. An animal’s needs include:
- The need for a suitable environment
- The need for a suitable diet
- The need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
- The need it has to be housed with, or apart from, other animals
- The need to be protected from suffering, injury and disease