As we reach the end of another eventful year, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your on-going support of The British Horse Society and all our charitable activities.
During 2022, your support has directly helped us to positively impact the lives of thousands of horses and people.
I’ve recorded a short film where I offer my personal thanks to you and celebrate just a few of the tremendous achievements your support has made possible.
There are too many highlights to list, but here are a number of our most important achievements:
- The inclusion of our Dead Slow messaging within the Highway Code, including the need to pass horses at a maximum of 10 mph and with at least 2 metres between the car and the horse, as well as a recommendation for horse riders to consider completing the BHS Ride Safe Award to gain the skills to ride confidently in all environments.
- We have successfully campaigned and lobbied the UK government to abolish the 2026 deadline to register historical paths and bridleways in England — meaning that horse riders, carriage drivers and walkers don’t have to save thousands of unrecorded routes by 2026.
- The creation of our Career Transition Fund — addressing the staffing crisis faced by riding schools across the country. We’ve committed to providing training grants for those looking to train for their BHS qualifications in Stages 2 and 3, which we’ll continue to fund in 2023. So far, we’ve had over 1,200 applications from those looking to take their next step in a professional equestrian career.
- Our Changing Lives through Horses programme has gone from strength to strength, with nearly 530 young people joining the programme this year along with 21 new riding centres. So far the programme has helped over 1,350 young people reconnect with their communities and their education through the power of horses.
- Our horse care and wellbeing helpline has supported over 10,400 people in 2022, and our hands-on educational events have helped 2,703 horses and 2,488 people across the country.
- Over 8.7 million riding lessons have been safely delivered through our BHS Approved Centres for ages 4 to 84 increasing participation with horses.
- Bringing together over 28,000 British Riding Clubs members to have fun with their horses, leading to 4,250 BRC members competing at our National Championships.
The year has been one of momentous events and change as we celebrated Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee in June, only to mourn her passing later in the year. Her Majesty had been our Patron since 1952, a constant source of pride for us all at the BHS.
Undoubtedly, 2023 will present its own challenges and opportunities, but we will continue to be there for each other, riding by your side to achieve the very best outcomes for the whole equestrian community and all those that love horses. Thank you for your continued support of the BHS, without you we would not be able to make the difference we do every single day.
From all of us at the BHS, I send my best wishes to you and your loved ones for a very Happy Christmas and New Year.
P.S. If you would like to get in touch please contact me at email@example.com.