You are here: Home > Our Charity > News & Media > New bridleway link open to riders

New bridleway link open to riders

16 Dec 2013

Categories:

Kilmersdon LinkA successful bid for Natural England Paths for Communities Grant has enabled a new bridleway to be dedicated at Kilmersdon.

11 December turned from a foggy, cold morning into a bright and sunny one as people arrived at Kilmersdon for the opening of the newly dedicated  bridleway – The Kilmersdon Link. Hot mulled wine and mince pies were served to the many supporters, plus local dog walkers and cyclists, who were welcomed to join the ceremony.

This short, steep track leading from the bridleway onto the Sustrans' Cycle Network had for years been a grey, slippery and waterlogged strip, greatly used for its convenience but with no official status and with an appalling and sometimes dangerous surface.

Kilmersdon Link - Before

Mendip Bridleways and Byways Association bid and won a grant to improve and dedicate the route via a Government initiative from Natural England, Paths for Communities. This enabled MBBA to undertake a total upgrade of the surface, replacing the thick clay with large stone, topped with oolitic dust, giving a permanent, all weather and level ride to cyclists, horse riders and walkers. The grant paid for 75% of the costs and MBBA will fund the remaining 25%.

Kilmersdon Link - AfterMBBA Chairman Cherry Lawson cut the ribbon and thanks were given by Ginnie Jones, MBBA Secretary to: Jane Yates from Natural England, Abbie Rood from The British Horse Society, Sustrans for dedicating the land, Kilmersdon Parish Council for facilitating the dedication and Clare Haskins from rights of Way at Somerset County Council.  Nicky Kingman and friend Jane Allen had brought their horses Zodiac and Mars and once the bridleway was declared open, they cantered off up the hill. 

Please wait while we complete your membership

Processing your details...