Former BHS Chairman Pat Campbell has come up with an unusual way of celebrating her 80th birthday. Most of us would be expecting to take things a little easier when we reach that particular milestone, but not Mrs Campbell!
On 11 September 2013, she will be jumping out of a plane (with a parachute!) to raise money for BHS Welfare and Kent Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance Trust.
Many of our members will know Mrs Campbell. She was Chairman of the Society from 2002 to 2005. A passionate supporter of welfare, she remains Chairman of the BHS Horse and Pony Breeds committee.
Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance is a registered charity. They operate two state of the art Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS) Aircraft which respond to serious medical emergencies across the south east. The helicopters fly 365 days a year, from bases in Marden in Kent and Redhill in Surrey. These aircraft transport a highly skilled crew and equipment anywhere across the 3,500 square miles of the south east in less than 20 minutes flying time.
The helicopters currently operate during daylight hours, with a crew operating at night by car, although in late summer or early autumn they will begin a 24-hour service so that they can help even more people.
The experienced pilots deliver an Enhanced Care Team (ECT) consisting of a senior doctor and a Critical Care Paramedic, to treat the most seriously injured or ill patients who will benefit from advance pre-hospital care. In effect this takes an emergency department to the patient by delivering advanced interventions at the scene of an incident and taking patients directly to the most appropriate hospital.
So please dig deep! Not many 80-year-olds fling themselves out of aeroplanes and it is in aid of two magnificent causes. Donations are being split equally between the BHS and Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance, so your money will:
• Help us to fund our network of 200 welfare officers. The number of cases they deal with has doubled in a little more than twelve months
• Help fund our Friends at the End scheme supporting owners through the end of their horse’s life
• Help us to help horses like Patrick (see page five)
• Help us to fund our campaigning work on issues such as responsible breeding and exotic infectious diseases
• Help to raise funds towards the £6million a year that it costs to operate the region’s two life-saving helicopters and specialist pre-hospital medical team, 365 days a year .
To sponsor Pat, visit sponsorme.co.uk/patcampbell/parachuting-pat.