Decades of unchecked and indiscriminate breeding mean we have far more horses than we have knowledgeable homes for them.
This year we will be raising money to continue our work with other organisations to hold more castration clinics – the aim to castrate at least 200 colts and stallions. The more money we raise the more we will castrate which in a few years’ time will have a huge impact on helping to resolve Britain’s horse crisis.
All money raised at this ride will go to the BHS Castration Appeal.
• Parking is accessed via Mansfield Road S41 0JW (which is not the normal Country Park access).
• There will be no access to parking before 8.30am.
• Starting at Grassmoor Country Park, both the long route of approximately 14 miles and short route of approximately 7 miles start at the same point but go in different directions.
• Both routes follow the Five Pits Trail to Holmewood. The longer route takes you to Tibshelf where there is the opportunity to use the canter track. The canter track can be bypassed or ridden again by using the return route through the wood where there are two optional small jumps.
• There are several road crossings–however there will be two stewards at each, visibility on all is excellent, and warning signs for road users will be in position. Riders and groups will start off at approx. 10 minute intervals. If you are in a group please make this clear at the start and on your booking form.
• Part of the route has two way traffic, please respect other route users – walk when passing pedestrians or slower riders.
• Please note that apart from the canter track the Five Pits Trail is walk and trot only.
Ride Rules & Safety:
• Riders under 16 years must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
• All horses must be over the age of 4 years & in a fit condition to undertake the work expected of them.
• Tack must be correctly fitted and in a safe condition – no fixed reins allowed.
• Hats to the current standard of PAS 015, ASTM F1163, BSEN 1384*, EN1384* and SNELL E2001 must be worn & correctly secured at all times when mounted.
• Body protectors are strongly recommended and should be comply with EN13158, BETA level 3.
• All riders must wear suitable riding footwear. Wellington boots & trainers are not allowed.
• All riders will be given a numbered Hi-Viz bib, which they will be required to wear on the ride and must be returned at the end.
• Please respect land & other route users – walk when passing pedestrians or slower riders. Please follow the country code.
• All riders are responsible for ensuring their own safety and that of others.
• Please be aware of natural hazards that may be encountered e.g. rabbit holes, mole hills etc…
• Please follow the instructions of marshals and officials at all times.
• Don’t forget it is a legal requirement to have a copy of your horse’s passport when travelling to events.
• Please bring your own water as there is no supply on site.
The organisers have taken reasonable precautions to ensure the health and safety of everyone present. For these measures to be effective, everyone must take reasonable precautions to avoid and prevent accidents. Neither the organisers nor the British Horse Society accept responsibility for any accident, injury, loss or illness to horse, rider, spectator or property whilst at this event.
First Aid & Veterinary Cover:
First Aiders will be in attendance. A local vet and farrier will be on call should their services be required.
Rosette for every rider compliments of the BHS Derbyshire County Committee.
Refreshments will be available to purchase.
Adults - £10; Under 16’s - £5
No bookings on the Day
Closing date for entries Friday 22 May 2015
Download Booking form (pdf).
We also require helpers/stewards to help us ensure the day runs smoothly so anyone able to help please contact Andrea Jones.