Club Safeguarding Officers
The protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults while participating in any sport is of the highest importance as they should be able to take part in a fun, safe environment and be protected from harm.
The BEF, as the umbrella body for the equestrian industry, has implemented a generic Safeguarding Equestrian Sport policy. This implementation will also begin to encourage the production of good practice codes across the industry and will also enable the BEF to gain Sport England funding. A steering group including a representative from all member bodies has been established in order to implement these policies and produce a cross-industry support network.
As a member body of the BEF, it is important that British Riding Clubs introduce Safeguarding and Child Protection policies. Riding Clubs are a key part of good practice implementation as the junior sections of clubs are far-reaching, well-organised and the grass roots to many equestrian disciplines.
What does this mean for my Riding Club?
Riding Clubs will need to read, understand and implement the policy. They will also need to recruit a Club Safeguarding Officer (CSO).
CSOs will need to:
- Complete the BEF Safeguarding and Protection Children workshop or Sports Coach UK workshop available at sportscoachuk.org (opens in new window)
- Complete a Club Safeguarding Office form (link below)
- Complete a Criminal Record Check
- Produce a Safeguarding plan for events.
- Have a clear role description
Please note that your DBS/Disclosure and safeguarding form is only valid for three years, and must be renewed after this time.
Clubs should be:
- Issuing Code of conduct for officials, volunteers, participants, parents and coaches
- Adhering to BEF policy on photography/video equipment
- Aware of poor practice and how to avoid this
- Using a recruitment policy for volunteers and officials
- Utilising self-disclosure
- Using BEF reporting procedure, making appropriate records and monitoring confidentiality.
Club Safeguarding Officer Information Form
BHS Lead Safeguarding Officer