Who is this qualification for, and what is needed to enter it?
- The BHS PTT is suitable for those aged 18 years or over.
- To enter the exam you will need to have passed the complete BHS Stage Two.
- The exam consists of two practical coaching sessions; one group (either flat or jump) and one individual (either lead rein or lunge), you will find out on the day which lessons you will teach.
- There are also four theory units which will be assessed during one session. These units are assessed via a presentation as well as oral questions. There are five presentation topics, you will need to prepare all the presentations, but you will be required to present only one of the topics on the day.
- When you book your exam you will receive a coaching portfolio. This will need to be completed before you achieve your BHS Assistant Instructor Certificate (BHSAI), but you do not need to complete this before your PTT exam.
Why should you do the BHS PTT?
On achievement of this qualification you will be eligible to join the BHS Accredited Coaches and you will be qualified to coach clients in both riding and horse care. The Preliminary Teaching Test is a component of the BHSAI. Preliminary Teachers will be able to gain the UK Coaching Certificate (UKCC) Level 2 by completing a portfolio of evidence.
What will a person with their BHS PTT be able to do in a professional environment?
A person who holds their BHS PTT will be able to work in a commercial riding establishment, private yard or as a freelance coach. They will be able to apply the basic principles of coaching to improve the rider’s horsemanship skills, following a progressive plan. They will understand the health and safety procedures involved in organising a lesson and be able to modify sessions to facilitate the ability of the rider. They will be able to coach novice riders up to Stage Two level.
How do you train for the BHS PTT?
In order to take this exam you will need to have gained experience coaching individuals and groups. A useful place to start is to observe or help with lessons at a BHS Approved Centre. BHS Approved Training Centres may run courses to prepare you for the exam.
Take a look at our bookshop where you’ll find DVDs and books to help with your revision.
Read our checklist to help you prepare your lesson plans for the exam.
Where can you take the exam?
Our exams are held at BHS Approved Training Centres, please see the dates and venues below.
When you have taken the BHS PTT, what is the next step?
If you are intending to begin your coaching career we advise that you attend a First Aid course and a Safeguarding and Protecting Children course.
If you have not yet achieved your BHS Stage Three, this would be your next step to achieve the BHSAI Certificate. On achieving the PTT (along with the completion of the coaching portfolio) you will also be eligible to enter the Intermediate Teach exam (ITT).
If you are unsuccessful in any section of your exam, you will not be required to retake the whole exam, you will retake the specific unit(s) only.
Important Booking Information: please be aware exams close two weeks prior to the exam date. Entry will close at 5pm on the night before this 14 day period begins, i.e. if the exam you would like to book for is on the 20th of any given month, you must be booked on by 5pm on the 5th.
If your exam is on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday, entry will close at 3pm on the Friday before the 14 day period begins.
Download the Direct Entry Guidance document (pdf)
Please see the step by step guide below on how to book your exam.