We are collecting data on incidents involving horses, whether the horses are ridden, driving a carriage or cart, led in-hand or loose.
Who can report to us?
- Anyone directly involved in or having witnessed an incident. You don’t have to be a BHS member.
What counts as an incident?
Any unplanned event that has:
- resulted in a rider or handler feeling concerned (e.g. verbal abuse)
- resulted in a horse reacting in an unsettled way (e.g. excessive noise)
- the potential to cause injury to a rider, handler or horse even though it may not have at this time (a near miss)
- already caused injury to a rider, handler or horse (an accident)
What does your incident involve?
- Road/off-road user
- Slippery road surfaces
- Low flying aircraft
If your incident does not fit into one of the above categories please fill in the General Incident Report form and email it to