A Horses Welcome Establishment which has been owned by the National Trust for Scotland since 1995. The estate is recognised as one of the most important nature conservation landscapes in the British Isles.
Mar Lodge Estate occupies nearly 7% of the Cairngorms National Park, covering over 29,000 hectares of the most remote and scenic wild land in Scotland.
Within its boundaries lies classic Highland landscape featuring: remnants of the Ancient Caledonian Pine Fores, Heather Moorland, Juniper Scrub and the Cairngorm Plateau which boasts four of the five highest mountains in the UK.
- We have a number of electric fenced corals within sheltered and secure paddocks
- We can cater for groups or individual horses
- There is parking for trailers and lorries and
- We also offer a Drying Room
- We also offer Haylage and the provision of any special feed requirements by request
- Carriage driving is permitted on some estate tracks by prior arrangement
Horses are accommodated within sight of the Lodge and Estate ride/route maps are available to use.
For People, we have high-quality self-catering accommodation for the discerning equestrian tourist encompassing:
- Luxurious country cottages (sleeping 8 and 10)
- Principal apartments in Mar Lodge itself (sleeping from 2-17)
- Bunkhouse accommodation in Base Camp for the more budget-conscious we have (sleeping combinations of up to 12 persons)
The Estate offers a variety of activities for non-riding members of your group (advanced notification required), from tours of the Lodge and Ranger-led walks to investigating the cultural, historical, ecological and conservational aspects of the Estate.