About The British Horse Society
The British Horse Society is the nation’s largest equine charity with a passion for horses that is backed by knowledge and expertise. The BHS represents and provides a range of services for horse riders, horse owners, enthusiasts and professionals.
Our Home Team within the Society is made up of professionals who bring together a variety of experiences, backgrounds and perspectives. We celebrate the diversity of our people and place a high value on creating an environment where everyone can bring their whole self to work. Many of our Home Team members work flexibly; we believe in giving our employees autonomy to decide where, when and how they work within a set of principles agreed within the team.
The Technology Operations Team provide the services and support to enable our colleagues to effectively deliver the charities activities and objectives. We are looking for a Finance & Governance Officer to ensure that new and existing services are procured and managed correctly, technology expenditure is monitored, controlled and robust asset and risk management is in place.
The role will be integral in ensuring the technology team can effectively and continuously support our colleagues with services and solutions that are well managed, controlled and governed through their entire lifecycle, ensuring that any appropriate documentation and processes are in place.
Key skills required for this exciting role
• Experienced in the administration and management of budgets and financial reporting and forecasting.
• The ability to maintain and manage accurate records of suppliers and contracts.
• Experience liaising with suppliers/partners as well as arranging and servicing meetings.
• Knowledge and understanding of procurement processes and risk management.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Self-motivated with the ability to utilise your own initiative.
• Strong ability to establish good working relationships with all colleagues.
• Proficient in using enterprise finance systems and software such as MS Excel, Word, Teams, and Outlook.
So, you’re interested? Here’s some information on the role….
The British Horse Society delivers a range of equestrian charitable objectives, along with providing membership offerings and educational programmes to the wider equestrian community.
The Technology Team supports our charitable work and income streams by providing solutions and services that fit the needs and requirements of our organisation and ensuring those solutions are comprehensive and effectively implemented and supported.
The Technology Finance & Governance Officer will be key to ensuring that new and existing services are procured correctly, technology expenditure is monitored and controlled in line with agreed budgets, and that robust asset and risk management is in place. They will monitor, control, and forecast technology expenditure, manage hardware and software asset management, maintain the technology contracts register, roadmap and risk register, as well as supporting the technology team through procurement processes and audit activities.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Technology Operations and join an experienced Technology Team that is friendly, supportive, dedicated, and promotes training and development.
What will you get in return?
- Annual Leave: 26 days + plus bank holidays (increasing to 28 days after 3 years’ service)
- Pension: Automatic entry at 4% into our scheme after 3-month deferral period, contributions matched up to 5%
- Health Benefits: health (income protection) insurance, health cash plan, life assurance at 4 x salary, yearly flu jab
- Wellbeing Support: ‘Everymind at Work’ mental health and wellbeing app and quarterly webinars, opportunities to participate in range of engagement activities such as our book and gardening clubs, ‘Put the Kettle On’ informal virtual chats and our annual Funuary activities!
- Training and Development: Access to a range of formal and informal development opportunities, including BHS Wise (our e-learning platform), our ‘A Day in Your Shoes’ cross-departmental work shadowing scheme and ‘C-Me’ communication workshops.
- Enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity Pay for eligible Home Team members:
The British Horse Society is committed to achieving equity for all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse workforce because, in our view, diversity enables better organisational outcomes. We also believe that a more inclusive workplace, where people of different backgrounds work together, ensures better outcomes for all employees.
We therefore strongly encourage suitably experienced people from a wide range of backgrounds to apply.
Only suitable candidates will be contacted directly about this position, and we will not store or process the data of candidates for longer than is necessary for the recruitment process.
How to apply
please provide a cover letter/personal statement highlighting your relevant skills and experience and how they meet the essential skills for this role, along with a CV, and send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. For further details on this and other opportunities, please visit www.bhs.org.uk.
Here at the BHS, we want you to have every opportunity to be able to demonstrate your skills, ability and potential when applying for any of our roles here. Please contact us if you require any assistance or adjustments so that we can help with making the application process work for you.
Due to a high volume of applications for our roles, should a cover letter/personal statement not be provided when applying for a role, we will unfortunately not be shortlisting these applications.
Please note: we will be speaking to and interviewing candidates throughout the advertised period; to avoid disappointment, we advise you to submit your application as soon as possible as we reserve the right to close posts at any time.
Closing Date for applications: 4th December 2023