BHS 2013 Equine Photographic Competition
This competition has now closed. Thanks to all who submitted an entry. Read on to discover what they could win and check back soon for the winning results!
We’re very excited to be running The British Horse Society 2013 Equine Photographic competition. We are on the hunt for your best photographs, showing your love of horses and interaction with them.
There are some great prizes up for grabs thanks to our friends at Shires Equestrian Products, so our winners can treat both themselves and their horse. We’ll be categorising your images into three distinct areas.
We will be selecting one overall winner of the competition who will win £1,250 of Shires Equestrian vouchers (from any one of the three categories).
We will also select three second prize winners, who will each win £250 of Shires Equestrian vouchers (one winner for each of the three categories).
There will be four separate winners in total.
The three categories being judged are:
All of us love horses and riding. We’re looking for pictures that illustrate your friendships on the yard, out riding with friends, or photographs that demonstrate the special relationship between you and your horse.
Horses are a great source of action shots, so we want to see you getting involved – that could mean having fun and reaching for your competition goals, it could be action shots in the community, volunteering, or just watching at any type of event.
The Great Outdoors
We love riding because it enables us to get out in the great outdoors. There are some fantastic places to ride and we want to see you and your horse at your favourite places.
Our sponsor – Shires Equestrian
Trusted by riders for more than 40 years, Shires Equestrian is a British manufacturing company based in Herefordshire and is one of the leading names in equestrian equipment for horse and rider. With a range that extends from rugs to saddle racks, Shires provides the equestrian community with good quality choice ataffordable prices.
Shires Equestrian is proud to have held a Royal Warrant to supply Her Majesty The Queen with equine equipment, clothing and footwear since 2009 – a reflection of its commitment to products that deliver performance and reliability. With full product control, from product design to manufacture, you can be assured of excellent value for money.
Terms and Conditions
Individual entrants are responsible for ensuring that they have read and abided by the terms and conditions before submitting their photographs. No allowances will be made for instances where this is not the case. Any entry found not to comply with the competition rules will be disqualified.
1. The organiser of the competition is The British Horse Society, Abbey Park, Stareton, Kenilworth CV8 2XZ.
2. The competition is not open to British Horse Society employees, agencies, their family members, or anyone else connected with this promotion.
3. The competition is free to enter. Entrants must not be professional photographers. For the purposes of this competition, a professional photographer will be considered to be someone who makes more than half their annual income from the sale of their photographs.
4. Prior to submission, entrants must not have offered any of their entries for sale, been paid for any publication of their entries, or won or been runner-up in any other photographic competition with any of their entries.
5. The closing date for submissions is midnight on 10 November 2013 and any submissions received after this will not be considered for the competition.
Camera and file type specifications:
1. Entries must be supplied digitally. Transparencies, scans and prints will not be considered. Each entrant may submit a maximum of three images to the competition.
2. Black and white images are acceptable.
3. Images should be submitted as high resolution JPEG or TIFF files.
4. The British Horse Society accepts no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete, or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
5. There are no restrictions on the type of camera used, but it should be noted that part of the judging criteria will be technical excellence and it is therefore recommended that you use the highest possible quality setting on your camera. The file should be as large as you can achieve with your equipment.
Subjects and Ethics:
1. The competition asks photographers to put the welfare of animals first, to safeguard their environment, and to do nothing to injure or distress animals or destroy the environment in their attempt to get their photographs. If the organiser or judges suspect that a picture was taken using cruel or unethical practices, that entry will be disqualified.
2. All entrants will be asked to declare that the images they are submitting comply with the competition terms and conditions.
1. The closing date for entries is midnight on 10 November 2013.
2. If your entry is a winning entry, you will be notified by the end of November 2013.
3. The full details of the overall winner and category winners will be announced in the January/February 2014 issue of British Horse magazine.
4. Competition prizes will be awarded by the end of January 2014 and the vouchers will need to be spent within six months with Shires Equestrian Products.
1. The organiser’s decision on all matters relating to the competition is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning the competition’s judging and organisation.
Copyright and Reproduction:
1. The copyright of the entire image must belong to the entrant.
2. Entrants will retain copyright in the photographs that they submit. By entering the competition, all entrants grant to The British Horse Society the right to publish and use the image(s) in any of its publicity material, including, but not limited to, its magazine British Horse,marketing materials, newsletters, posters, and on its websites. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses. While we make every effort to credit photographers when printing reproductions of their work, we cannot guarantee this.
3. Other branches of the media will be allowed to publish the winning images free of charge for the purpose of promoting this photography competition without express permission from the photographer.
1. The Society reserves the right to cancel this competition or alter the rules at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, and if circumstances arise outside of its control. The Society reserves the right to request the return of a prize if, at a later date, the entrant has been discovered to be in breach of these terms.
2. By entering this competition you are agreeing to receive occasional emails from The British Horse Society and Shires Equestrian Products.