BHS Online DBS Service
The BHS working in partnership with Disclosure Services has launched an online service for BHS Approved Centres, Affiliated Riding Clubs, BEF member bodies and other equine organisations. We also still offer our paper based process.
Why choose the BHS?:
• Advisory service and access to specialist knowledge
• Competitively priced
• Simple to use
• Online system including free online registration
• Legislation and compliance updates
• Help in risk assessing a staff member who has convictions
For further information, please contact the Safeguarding team at email@example.com or on 02476 840746.
DBS Update Service
The DBS update service is available to everyone who completes a DBS check and signs up within 19 calendar days of receiving their certificate. It makes your certificate portable and renewable and may be accepted by more than one employer or organisation at a time.
• No need to re-apply for a DBS check
• Keep your Certificate up to date for only £13 per year
• You can apply online using the quick and easy service
• If you are a freelance instructor your employers will have peace of mind as they will be able to, with your permission, simply check your status online as and when needed.
How do I apply?
• Join online via gov.uk or via online partners, Disclosure Services.
• You will need your application form number or wait for your Disclosure Certificate and join within 19 calendar days using your Disclosure number
What do I need to know?
• You can use your certificate number once you have joined the update service to give to employers/parents, who can then check your status online
• You will also need to provide your DBS certificate to compare this to so remember to keep it safe
• You can pay by direct debit which will automatically renew each year
• Always check with your employer or organisations that you work for whether they can accept the update service with the certificate you have
How do notify the BHS I am in the update service?
Please contact us for an update service permission form and send in to the BHS along with a copy of your Disclosure certificate.
Remember to keep your DBS certificate and Update Service ID number safe.
The DBS Update Service and Employers
- You as an employer can check someone’s DBS Certificate status online and get a result straightaway
- There is no registration process or fee for employers.
You must be legally entitled to carry out a check and you must have the person’s permission.
To check an employee, simply go online to the DBS website and enter their details.
For further information please contact the BHS Safeguarding Team:
Ellie Vajcovec and Helen Brown
Related organisations (links open in new windows)
Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
News from other bodies (links open in new windows)
Child Protection in Sport Unit News