One in five people have a long-standing, limiting disability or life-changing condition, and the benefits of interaction with horses and riding are well known. This CPD workshop is an introduction to a huge topic, helping to signpost coaches to a range of practical resources about different disabilities, and safe and thoughtful practices.
The workshop will map out RDA , BD, BEF, and ParaEquestrian coaching and competition structures, how rider gradings are conducted, a review of commonly met disabilities in adults and practical issues of risk assessment and insurance. Selection of horses, special tack and assessing weight carrying capacity and ensuring horse welfare will also be covered. It will also draw on sports psychology principles to explore the importance of language and recognition of values and beliefs in coaching people with disabilities. It will highlight how BHS coaches can engage with their local RDA groups and how coaching pathways will credit existing qualifications.
This one day workshop will cover the following topics:
• Understanding disabilities
• Pathways to coaching - Para equestrian, RDA and EAL organisations
• Rider grading and classification
• Risk assessment and planning for a positive intervention
• Developing your coaching language
• Horse selection welfare and training
• Working with medical professionals
• Unmounted coaching for equine assisted therapy
o BHS member: £35
o RDA Coach: £35
o Non BHS: £50
Further venues and dates are being arranged around the country, please contact email@example.com for further details.
Register at 9.30am for a 10am start.