The British Horse Society Yorkshire region is pleased to welcome Gemma Pearson BVMS Cert AVP (EM) MRCVS to BHS Approved Follifoot Park RC.
Gemma is a Veterinary Surgeon at the Royal (Dick) Vet Equine Hospital with a specialist interest in equine behaviour and medicine. As the Veterinary Liaison Officer for the International Society for Equitation Science, Gemma is involved in advising and developing training for horses worldwide. Gemma was recently involved in a working party creating a code of conduct for the World Dressage Masters and development of a training programme through the Horse Trust for people involved in the care of equine welfare cases. Gemma has recently joined the BHS Consultation Team as an advisor.
This training day will include a mixture of practical demonstrations and lectures to demonstrate the evidence based techniques which can assist with training and developing behaviours both ridden and in hand. This Continuous Professional Development training day is open to all members and non-members of the BHS.
- 9.30am - Arrival - Coffee and registration
- 10am - Lecture: The principles of training. Methods to maximise training efficiency. How to modify behaviour
- 10.45am - Practical Demonstration: Use of positive reinforcement to train new behaviours (clicker training people)
- 11am - Lecture: The principles of training (continued)
- 11.45am - Practical Demonstration: Use of positive reinforcement to train new behaviours (clicker training horses to develop timing and an ability to shape responses). Four to six horses or ponies in headcollar and rope only for in-hand work
- 12.45am - Lunch break
- Behaviour modification and interactive case scenarios (in hand and ridden problems)
- 2.30pm - Practical Demonstration: In hand and ridden demonstration with horses that exhibit inadequate/partial response
- 3.40pm - Summary, Questions and Finish
- BHS Accredited Professional Coach/Registered Instructor £35
- All others £40
Please bring a packed lunch.