Checkendon Equestrian Centre is running a 9 week course to prepare students for their EQL Level 1 Certificate in Riding Horses:
Unit 1: Riding horses on the flat and over ground poles in the light seat.
It is expected that the student will be able to walk, trot and canter before taking this course. It is the responsibility of the candidate to register with the BHS for the exam.
Students can choose to attend individual weeks or the entire course. Weeks 1-9 cost £33 each. Weeks 1-9 will cost £280 if paid for as a block in advance (non-refundable).
This date is Week 8.
Weeks 1 to 8 will focus on:
- Lead horse effectively in both walk and trot
- Mount and dismount correctly
- Adjust both girth and stirrups whilst mounted
- Carry a short whip whilst riding
- Maintain a correct secure and balanced position whilst in walk, trot and canter with stirrups
- Maintain a correct secure and balanced position whilst in walk and trot without stirrups
- A basic but effective use of natural aids, and use of appropriate techniques to achieve correct canter lead
- Correct trot diagonal
Week 5 onwards: work over poles will be included
Week 6 onwards: riders will change horses within the session
Week 9: mock assessment
To book a place, please contact Checkendon directly (details on the right). Checkendon are running a Stage 1 Care course on the same dates, from 7-8pm - see the separate listing for more details.